Accident-free driving — this vision drives us and is a fixed component of our sustainable business strategy. Our innovative driving assistance systems already offer drivers and passengers a high level of safety and comfort today. These systems can help drivers avoid or safely manage critical situations on the road in order to protect vehicle occupants and other road users. System warnings and active brake applications are now increasingly mitigating the consequences of accidents or even preventing them altogether.
Automated driving systems have the potential to fundamentally change the nature of mobility — and improve it. For example, automated systems can make an important contribution to increasing safety. At the same time, we need to keep the potential risks in mind. It is vitally important that we take not only functional aspects but also ethical and data protection issues into account from the very beginning of the product development process.
SPURWECHSEL — We are changing lanes
What we seek to achieve in terms of traffic safety
- We want to prevent or mitigate the effects of as many accidents as possible by making use of state-of-the-art assistance systems.
- We aim to achieve the best possible crash safety results with a high degree of occupant protection and protection of other road users.
- We continue to take measures that increase public awareness of the importance of traffic safety through education programs and roadshows, for example, and we provide information on safety technology and innovations.
- We are expanding the use of driving assistance systems in an increasing number of vehicles.
- We are integrating societal and ethical considerations into conditionally automated and highly automated driving systems — for example with our “ethics by design” concept.
- We implement data-protection principles and standards along the entire value chain in accordance with the “privacy by design” principle.
- We support social and political dialog on the topic of automated driving.